This page is designed to help businesses, especially BBB Accredited Businesses, create an online privacy notice for use on the Internet. A privacy notice should be based on the following five elements:
- Notice (what personal information is being collected on the site)
- Choice (what options the customer has about how/whether personal data is collected and used)
- Access (how a customer can see what data has been collected and change/correct it if necessary)
- Security (state how any data that is collected is stored/protected)
Whatever final notice you develop is up to you, and will be your responsibility to maintain. The Better Business Bureau does not recommend any one set of privacy practices, nor any single privacy notice.
Below is a sample privacy notice that you may want to use as a guide for your privacy notice. Note that there is a place for your company name or URL in the first paragraph and a place for your phone number and email address in the last paragraph. Please make sure to personalize these. DO NOT simply cut-and-paste this policy as is.
- What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the website, how it is used and with whom it may be shared.
- What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.
- The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information.
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone.
We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your request, e.g. to ship an order.
Your Access to and Control Over Information
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:
- See what data we have about you, if any.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.
Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a lock icon in the address bar and looking for “https” at the beginning of the address of the Web page.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.